|Date Posted||March 30, 2020|
Requisition ID:Â 1661
Job Title:Â Principal Machine Learning & Data Science Engineer
Job Country:Â United States (US)
Here at Avanos Medical, we passionately believe in three things:
- Making a difference in our products, services and offers, never ceasing to fight for groundbreaking solutions in everything we do;
- Making a difference in how we work and collaborate, constantly nurturing our nimble culture of innovation;
- Having an impact on the healthcare challenges we all face, and the lives of people and communities around the world.
At Avanos you will find an environment that strives to be independent and different, one that supports and inspires you to excel and to help change what medical devices can deliver, now and in the future.Â
Avanos is a medical device company focused on delivering clinically superior breakthrough solutions that will help patients get back to the things that matter.Â We are committed to creating the next generation of innovative healthcare solutions which will address our most important healthcare needs, such as reducing the use of opioids while helping patients move from surgery to recovery. Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, we develop, manufacture and market recognized brands in more than 90 countries. Avanos Medical is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol AVNS. For more information, visit www.avanos.com.
Avanos is building a new, high performing R&D team in our Alpharetta, Georgia location focused on our On-Q & Enhanced Recovery Technology Platform.Â This team supports our $170+MM Acute Pain global business unit which is critical to Avanosâ long-term growth.Â The On-Q & Enhanced Recovery technology platform is focused on products & programs to provide post-surgical pain relief as well as provide solutions to address injury recovery & rehabilitation.
Our products include the On-Q Pain Relief System, ambIT Infusion Pump & IV Therapy Products, and Game Ready hot & cold compression therapy systems.Â
The Principal Machine Learning & Data Science Engineer is a key technical member of the On-Q & Enhanced Recovery team.Â In this role, you will be responsible for leading all Machine Learning, AI & Data Science solutions for this suite of products & associated software/hardware.Â You will be given the autonomy & flexibility to grow your skills & your career, while effectively delivering world class results.Â
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recognized as a technical expert within the On-Q & Enhanced Recovery Technology Platform.
- Develop & lead program & product solutions to combine new, digital health technologies with product lines that have a proven, clinical track record of treating acute & post-surgical pain.
- Collaborate with functional leaders to translate business needs into differentiated products & solutions, by driving business case & proforma development.
- Function skillfully as a key technical leader capable of driving consensus across functional groups to activate & execute projects.
- Strong technical understanding of software, firmware and hardware interaction.
- Technical leadership within AI & ML framework to develop & launch innovative Medical Devices & Systems.
- Participate in all aspects of data-driven product development (data collection, labeling, algorithm development and verification/validation).
- Design, implement and validate machine learning and computer vision solutions for medical device products.
- Train, deploy, test and document machine learning algorithms for various applications.
- Spend time in the field with physicians and key opinion leaders to develop and maintain close ties with on-the-ground happenings in our market.
- Provide protection of technologies & products through appropriate use of patents & trade secrets.
- Deliver clear messages logically, simply, succinctly and at the right pace; communicate effectively with Senior Management; author technical Documents; overcomes language and cultural boundaries to develop and maintain two-way communications with both internal and external partners.
- R&D lead for projects of moderate to large size & complexity.
- Provide technical guidance & mentoring/coaching to less experienced team members.
- Complete all work in a safe manner consistent with Avanos Medical safety & quality protocols.
- BS in Electrical, Computer Science or Biomedical Engineering with 9+ years of experience in design & development of medical-electrical devices.
- Experience managing both internal and external resources for the design and development of medical device systems that include hardware, software, embedded electronics and disposables.
- Experience collecting/analyzing design inputs (voice of the customer, contextual research, etc.) & transforming them into high quality use cases, stakeholder requirements, system requirements & commercialized products.
- Experience generating and/or updating technical documentation (product requirements, specifications, engineering reports, test plans & procedures, validation plans and reports) while ensuring traceability back to source documents and rationales.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) to all levels of an organization.
- Up to 25% travel will be required in this role.
- MS in Electrical, Computer Science or Biomedical Engineering with 7+ years of experience in design & development of medical-electrical devices or PhD in same areas of focus with 5+ years of experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with previous experience in the design, development & commercialization of medical device systems similar to the products included in this position description and/or experience with medical imaging analysis (Ultrasound, MRI, CT).
- Proficient in Python programing language.
- Working knowledge of Linux, Windows, command line, version control (git/GitHub).
- Experience with deep learning & machine learning (DL/ML) frameworks (Keras, Theano, TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Experience with Python packages (OpenCV, scikit-learn, XGBoost, LightGBM).
- Experience working with large data sets.
- Experience participating in data science and Kaggle competitions.
Avanos Medical is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are a current employee of Avanos, please apply here .
Join us at Avanos
Join us and you can make a difference in our products, solutions and our culture. Most of all, you can make a difference in the lives, people, and communities around the world.
Make your career count
Our commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of others begins with our employees â through a comprehensive and competitive range of benefits. We provide more than just a salary â our Total Rewards package encompasses everything you receive as an employee; your pay, health care benefits, retirement plans and work/life benefits.
free onsite gym | onsite cafeteria | 401(k) + 6% match | immediate vesting | benefits on day 1 | uncapped sales commissions | HQ region voted âbest place to liveâ by USA Today